A+ A A-

The government is to renegotiate the power compact with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) of the United States to include majority Ghanaian ownership for the concession of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).
This is to ensure that the wholly state-owned power company is largely managed by Ghanaians, with less foreign participation.
The Vice-President, Alhaji Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, in an interview with the Daily Graphic on the sidelines of the ongoing IMF/World Bank meeting in Washington, DC, in the USA, said part of the renegotiations would include an assurance of no job losses at the ECG when the management was ceded to a concession.
The Ghana Power Compact between the MCC and the government of Ghana was signed in August 2014 and disbursement was expected to begin in mid-2016 but was delayed due to protests by workers of the ECG over possible retrenchment and the government not meeting the terms of the agreement.

Read more... 0

The Ghana National Gas Company (Ghana Gas) is to construct an onshore 278-kilometre natural gas pipeline infrastructure from the Takoradi Aboadze enclave to the power enclaves of Tema in the Greater Accra Region.
This follows the signing of a project implementation contract with the Chinese multinational oil fields service conglomerate, the Yantai Jereh Group.
The signing of the agreement signifies the revival of the project, which was conceived last year.
Start of work
The Chinese company is expected to start site work, such as topographical/geotechnical site surveys and front-end engineering designs (FEED), which are already underway, as well as on-site civil construction activities which will commence within the next 10 days.

Read more... 0

A joint traditional rite has been performed by the Osu and Ga Traditional Councils to pave the way for the commencement of a multi-million dollar project to develop parts of the Accra coastal line into a tourism enclave.
The two traditional councils poured libation, slaughtered two cows, two sheep and two goats last Thursday, to appease the gods for the developer to start clearing the area for the sod-cutting ceremony that is expected to be performed in two months’ time by the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
Known as the Marine Drive Project, the project covers 248 acres, stretching from the Osu Christiansborg Castle to the Centre for National culture (Arts Centre).
It is a public-private partnership (PPP) and expected to transform the beach area into a tourism enclave to create jobs for the youth, especially those within the catchment area, and increase economic growth.
Ultimately, the project aims to boost tourism.
It is being executed by three companies—Attachy Construction Ltd, which is the anchor developer,  ABP Consults, which is the engineering consultant, and Consortium—the designers and planners.
When completed, the project will have facilities such as a beach resort, hotels, playgrounds and malls, among other tourism amenities.
The Gbese Mantse, Nii Ayi Bonte II, assured the government of the support of the Ga Traditional Council towards the completion of the project, because when completed, it would bring development to the area.

Read more... 0

An indigenous Ghanaian company, Sri Emas which provides integrated offshore solutions for the upstream oil and gas industry has handed over a steel bridge constructed over River Nhwine on the Adubrim-Ngabawei feeder road in the northern part of the Ellembelle District, Western Region.
The company said it was moved to support the construction of the bridge by the predicament of the beneficiary communities especially during the rains.
Sri Emas partnered with the Ellembelle District Assembly to carry out the project as part of its social investments plans.
Head of Local Content and Community Relations of Sri Emas, Ms. Lydia Afi Alomatu, said after the assessment of the project, the company decided to contribute one million cedis of the required ¢1.9 million.

Read more... 0

A seven-storey national head office building for the National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) has been inaugurated in Accra. Work on the office complex, with 37 office cubicles, three conference rooms, a library and a basement car park, among other facilities, took two and half years to complete.
The head office, which is known as the NAGRAT Lyceum, has a large symbolic sculptural pen on the eastern side, which is to serve as a reminder of the symbolic tool of the teaching profession.
Lyceum
At the ceremony to officially open the facility, the President of NAGRAT, Mr Christian Addai-Poku, said the association decided to name the facility NAGRAT Lyceum after an edifice of antiquity named after the Greek god Appollo, which was connected with philosophical teaching and discourse.
The ancient edifice, he said, also served as a venue for military exercises and meetings of Athenian assembly, adding that “we adopted the name for our building to signify its relevance to knowledge and service.”
Mr Addai-Poku said the NAGRAT Lyceum would serve as a venue for discussing and scrutinising educational issues and policies by the academia and philosophers.

Read more... 0

Hundreds of people from all walks of life thronged the first-ever sprawling edifice of the Kumasi City Mall (KCM) not necessarily to shop but, to be part of history as the first people to have gained access to the $ 95 million structure at the opening Thursday morning.
The one-stop destination shopping mall, the first to be opened in the Ashanti region covers all kind of shopping items and entertainment.
For now, Game, one of the tenants of the mall appears to be in full operation to be followed by Shoprite on Thursday, April 27, 2017.
And despite the finishing touches being put up by the rest of the tenants including communications giants, MTN and other banking institutions, the facility provided a perfect ambiance for patrons who appeared to have been attracted by the blurring of assorted entertainment programmes.

Read more... 0

The baptism session for some members of the Sacred Action Church, which held its annual Easter Convention at Wassa Akropong in the Western Region, could not come off due to the polluted nature of water bodies by illegal mining (galamsey) activities in the area.

All the streams visited by the leadership of the Anyinase-based church in the Ellembele district were found to be not suitable for immersion of those billed for the mass baptism.

The church normally undertakes mass baptism for its converted members during their annual conventions.

Read more... 0

More than 57 houses at Zabzugu in the Northern Region have been destroyed by a rainstorm which occurred on Friday, April 21, following which tens of people have been rendered homeless.
Many houses in the affected areas also had their roofs ripped off by the rainstorm.
Rainstorm
The Zabzugu District Coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Mr Zakaria Yahaya, told the Daily Graphic that the incident, which lasted for 45 minutes, occurred at about 6:15 p.m.

Read more... 0

A section of the Accra-Kumasi railway line at Osino in the Fanteakwa District in the Eastern Region has allegedly been destroyed by two mining companies.
Kibi Goldfields Limited and Narawa Mining are alleged to have gone beyond their allowed limits and mined the buffer zones of the Birim River and either yanked off part of the line or mined beside it.
The two companies have since ceased their activities following the directive of a court.
During a visit to the area last Saturday, the Daily Graphic saw the railway lines removed and packed in a bushy area on the concession of the Kibi Goldfields, while the section on the Narawa concession was exposed because of mining activities along it, contrary to the two companies’ cadastral map.

Read more... 0

John Peter Amewu - Minister, Lands & Natural Resources
Government has launched a new project aimed at curbing illegal mining activities in the country at least within the next five years.

To this end, it has commenced a multi-lateral mining integrated project which will regulate the activities of illegal miners and reduce the impact of destruction to the environment.

The project among others seeks to regulate the activities of the illicit miners or galamsey operators by allowing them access to mining sites, moving equipment, among others.
Speaking at the first stakeholders meeting on the multi-lateral mining integrated project, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, John Peter Amewu told Citi Business News the plan should bring sanity in the mining industry.
“Another difficulty is the inability of the small scale miners to make their activities bankable… if the illicit miners are given the conditions such as explored fields to give them reliable sites to mine, plus plant pool from which they will be able to get equipment and pay back subsequently, they will gradually move away from all the areas that they are currently working which is destroying the environment,” he said.
Galamsey activities have been blamed for the destruction of major water bodies and forest reserves in areas where the operations are rife.
This notwithstanding, some of the illegal miners have lost their lives while residents in some affected areas have also lost their agricultural farmlands to the illicit act.
A recent altercation between security officials and galamsey operators has led to a temporary shutdown of activities at Anglogold Ashanti’s Obuasi mine.
There has therefore been growing concern on the need for the government and relevant stakeholders to find a lasting solution to the canker.
But Lands and Natural Resources Minister, John-Peter Amewu further explained to Citi Business News he is highly confident the new approach will allow the government to duly sanction perpetrators of galamsey.
“We will make sure that gradually we take out galamsey out from the system…within a five year period, I think we should be able to minimize the impact of galamsey in Ghana,” he said.
The stakeholders’ meeting was attended by traditional authorities, officials from the Minerals Commission, representatives from the Chinese Embassy in Ghana, among others.

By: Pius Amihere Eduku/citibusinessnews.com/Ghana

Read more... 0

The People’s National Convention (PNC), has called for an immediate enquiry into the processes leading to the construction of a new bungalow for the Vice- President by the previous National Democratic Congress (NDC) government.
The uncompleted bungalow generated controversy after the Vice- President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, announced that the bungalow was to cost close to $14 million.
A document from the Architectural and Engineering Services Limited (AESL), the engineering company working on the vice-presidential Villa, emerged with a purported breakdown of $13.9 million said to be expenditure on the bungalow.
The General Secretary of the PNC, Mr Atik Mohammed, described the $13.9 million figure as absurd and said he was firmly behind calls for an investigation into the construction of the villa.

Read more... 0

Visit the best review site bbetting.co.uk for Bet365 site.

©Copyright 2015. Construction Exchange. All rights reserved.